Friday, May 05, 2006

A cluster of cynics?

Having felt isolated by my m-learning related cynicism (particularly when it involves my phone), I find that the majority of my H806 tutor group peers have views which are not entirely dissimilar. More youthful contributions to the evaluation of an m-learning application were, however, of the enthusiastic variety plunging me back into the depths of 'fogeyism'.

Ernie commented to the effct that our daily and workbased utilisation of technology might impact upon our perspectives relating to the further use of that technology for learning. Reflecting on this comment led me to pause, fingers briefly stationary above the keyboard, until the obvious dawned. It isn't the technology but the motivation behind its use. The particular m-learning package we have been examining does not enthuse me; it provides neither goal oriented nor intrinsic motivation. Blogging, conversely, not only forms part of my study but the development of lenses have also provided me with a major resource; this in turn serving to feed my motivation.

Now, how would m-learning with its small screens and fiddly keypads facilitate this need to the same degree? Answers on a postcard to ....

1 Comments:

At 5:56 pm, Blogger Jane said...

I too find it necessary to print material and place it next to me, though having all the H806 LOs on-screen allows me to be selective in my printing.

I am happy to e-mail without printing and am confortable with texts; its when my brain needs to assimilate large quantities of data that I prefer hard copy. I think I skim read before returning to digest - this seems harder to do when using a screen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home